Blue River Family Adventure
7 Day Costa Rica Family-Friendly Tour: Volcano, Rainforest, Blue River and Beach
Destinations: Tenorio Volcano, Samara or Coyote Beach.
Airports: San Jose or Liberia
Description of the Tour: For families who want adventure and exploration! On this back country tour you will not encounter crowded ecolodges or parks. This seven day adventure trip, kids and parents will get to explore Tenorio Volcano and its active thermals, lush rainforests, the vibrant Blue River, and either Samara or Coyote Beach! One of the highlights of the trip will be a hiking trip to reach the amazing Rio Celeste Waterfall (Three hour round trip hike). This trip is for active families and children!
Day 1: Upon your arrival at the Juan Santamaría International Airport (San Jose, Costa Rica), you'll be picked up at the airport, taken to your hotel, and briefed on the next day's activities. The rest of the day is yours to explore the Greater San José area as you see fit.
• Overnight in San José or Alajuela.
Day 2: Travel from Alajuela to the beautiful Tenorio Volcano.
• Breakfast at your hotel.
• Enjoy an exciting journey with your knowledgeable, bilingual guide to the beautiful area surrounding Tenorio. The scenic drive through the Costa Rican countryside will take about 4 hours.
• After lunch (not included), you will join your tour guide on an exciting 2–2½ hour hike through the Tenorio Volcano National Park, where you will discover an exuberant biodiversity that will thrill your adventurous spirit.
• The Tenorio Volcano National Park includes four volcanic peaks and two craters that are sure to amaze your kids.
• Your afternoon is free to enjoy one or more family activities of your choice. (Note: Some optional activities may entail an additional, but always reasonable, fee that is not included in the travel package. If you are interested in a child friendly activity, please consult your tour guide for further details.)
• Overnight in Tenorio (first of 2 nights).
Day 3: Explore Tenorio and surroundings.
• Early breakfast at your hotel.
• Prepare to enjoy the majesty of the Rio Celeste and its surroundings. Enjoy natural attractions—including the waterfall, hot springs, rainforest, blue lagoon, and Los Teñideros, where streams converge to create the heavenly turquoise waters for which Rio Celeste is named. With a little good fortune, we may also be lucky enough to spot a peccary, an ocelot, or even a cougar that resides in the area.
• On your return, you will enjoy a delicious traditional local lunch (cost not included in family travel package).
• Your afternoon is free for your choice of activity. (Optional activities may entail additional fees not included in the travel package. Consult your guide for details.)
• Overnight in Tenorio.
Day 4: Travel from Tenorio to Playa Samara or Playa Coyote.
• Breakfast at your hotel. Prepare for your shuttle service to Playa Samara or Playa Coyote.
• After breakfast, enjoy an exciting 2-hour journey with your guide to Playa Samara and/or Playa Coyote.
• Upon arrival at your hotel, get ready to take a closer look at the beautiful seaside and surrounding area.
• Your afternoon is free to enjoy the beach or choose from a variety of kid friendly activities. (Optional activities may entail additional fees not included in the travel package. Consult your tour guide for details.)
• Overnight at the Beach (first of 2 nights).
Day 5: Experience Playa Samara or Playa Coyote.
• Breakfast at your hotel.
• After breakfast, enjoy nature Costa Rican-style with a leisurely stroll along the seashore that is sure to make you feel relaxed. Choose from among the many water-sports activities offered by local tour operators. (Optional activities may entail additional fees not included family in the travel package. Consult your tour guide for details.)
• Possible activities for Day 5: surfing, surfing classes, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, or visiting an inspiring waterfall (Coyote Beach).
• Overnight at the Beach.
Day 6: Morning in Playa Samara or Playa Coyote, then travel to Alajuela.
• Breakfast at your hotel.
• First, you'll spend your morning relaxing or involving yourself in one of a number of unique local activities. Then, you’ll enjoy a typical fresh meal along the beach, or stop for lunch on your way to Alajuela.
• After arriving at your hotel in the Greater San Jose area, you'll have time to relax, prepare for your flight, and reflect on your wonderful stay in Costa Rica.
• Overnight in Alajuela.
Day 7 (Last Day): Transfer to the international airport; departure.
(for 2-4 people, sharing one hotel room throughout tour)
Ask about our Family Custom Tours, available for your convenience!
For more information on a variety of kid friendly activities and hotels, send us your e-mail address and Costa Rica Family Adventures will help you create a Costa Rican holiday that is custom-made and unforgettable.
Costa Rica Family Adventures will be happy to provide (via e-mail) a list of the many exciting activities that your kids might like to consider while vacationing in Costa Rica. And, of course, your personal travel guide will happily recommend additional activities along the way.
Every time you book a tour with Costa Rica Adventures, you support a small family business and help protect the environment. And, during your tour, your guide/driver will purchase saplings to plant with you.